Comments Welcome

HI- THANKS FOR STOPPING BY. LEAVE A COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU HAVE MADE IT HERE. MY MOMMY IS GOING TO MAKE ME A BOOK WITH ALL THESE ENTRIES SO PLEASE SAY SOMETHING.

Feb 11, 2009

Caiden's Home Visit- And a shout out for HELP!!!

Preface- I realize my child is only 4 and that he is learning and progressing at his own speed.

Have you ever heard of teachers making home visits to strengthen the bond between them and your child? NO? Well I hadn't either. We had our first home visit by Caiden's teachers today. Caiden was thrilled to show them his toys and to show me all of his art work that he has been working on in class. Having his teachers care enough to make time to see all the students in the child's own home is just another example of the exceptional care and education that Caiden recieves daily.

During the home visit we talked about Caiden's progress (of course). We also talked about all of the things that Caiden needs to improve on. It is very neat to hear all the wonderful things that he is accomplishing. It is a totally different experience discussing the areas that need improvement.... (WHAT? MY CHILD ISN'T PERFECT? GASP!!!) I was so humbled to hear all the many things that we will be improving on.... EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. He is so advanced with letters, phonics and pre-reading. But numbers, well that is another story. BE PATIENT, BE PATIENT, BE PATIENT. At one point during the visit we were discussing Caiden's areas of need. He turned to me and said... "Mom, BE PATIENT!" OK, so I can be patient and let him progress and flourish at his own pace, but what are some techniques that I can help him to learn and progress in his number recognition?

We do flash cards, we rote count all the time, we practice writing them too. At times I will ask him a number that he has been identifying all week, but then it becomes some random number. I just don't understand how to help him. He loves playing number games like- Let's see how fast you can put your shoes on; how many green peas can you put on your fork; I am going to count to 30 and see if you can beat me by getting your jammies on first. We identify numbers that we see on speed limit signs, packages and billboards. We are doing everything that I have been told to do... I think!
Of course I am internalizing it as a failure on my part. Not that I am a failure as a mother but that I have failed him in someway. Part of me knows that I am doing my very best and that I have exhausted my capabilities in teaching number recognition. (that doesn't mean that I am ready to give up.) The other part of me says that there is a problem and that I need to help him fix it.

I am giving a shout out to request any ideas or suggestions that you may have.

Dawa'ee, Mrs. Juanico and Miss Charlie for taking time to visit with us in our home. I hope you were able to gain some insight into the loving and structured home life that we try to provide to Ka'shesh.

1 comment:

  1. You might try the math circus DVD by leap frog I know that letter factory helped Jacey learn her letters! I hope you can figure the numbers out Caiden!

    ReplyDelete

Hello There! Please leave a post for Caiden. We are excited about being able to give him these posts in a book. Thank you!